Brooke has been showing signs of readiness for a couple months, but I kept putting off potty training due to a sense of dread evoked upon me by talking to many other moms. I said I would do it, then didn't, and so on. Finally last Monday (a week ago), I decided to just get it over with. The weather was crappy, we didn't have anything important to do, so we went for it!
I read that it could be done in 3 days so I figured even if it totally sucked, it would only be for 3 days. The first day she went through almost all the 15 pair of underwear we had, I cleaned up several accidents (mostly on the wood floor thankfully), and asked her "Do you need to go potty?" until I was blue in the face. It wasn't too bad. 2nd day was great! I think she had one accident. But still, I was taking her frequently, she wasn't telling me when she needed to go. Wednesday was okay..a few accidents and I was going a bit stir crazy being inside for 3 days, and I was just grumpy (the opposite of the patience needed for potty training). Thursday we ventured out to lunch with some friends from the ward. This is when I realized why automatic flush toilets are no bueno! It flushed while Brooke was on it, and so she pretty much refused to go after that. So at the end of lunch, it all came out and it was time to go home :). That night we went to a BYU vs. Gonzaga volleyball game and she did great, no accidents. So pretty much, it really did take 3 days. She hasn't had any problems since I think Friday, and she tells us when she needs to go, and all that dread that I've had for so long is over! (At least this time around...) We are still doing diapers at night because I'm not willing to give up more sleep than already necessary with a newborn, but she has woken up dry from her 1.5-2 hour naps everyday but the very first day.
I wanted to document that it wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be. Although I realize she is very smart and it probably won't be this easy next time. As in, I have had tons of help from my parents, and from Curt with his sweet internship hours, which was a HUGE blessing! Thanks mom and dad for all the trips to the potty! We think she is adorable in underwear and is even more grown up :( I want her to stay just like she is forever! (Even with her attitude and bossypants :)
2 comments:
Way to go Brooklyn!!! I can't believe how much she has changed even since we have left!
I'm glad to hear it went well for you. I have been dreading it too, though I do think it would be nice to have Evie trained before the baby comes so I don't have to change 2 babies. Your experience gives me hope that I still might be able to pull it off without ripping all my hair out! maybe, just maybe!
Post a Comment