Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our little girl is growing up--Brooke @ 22 months

It's hard to believe that almost 2 years has gone by since our little girl entered the world at a much unexpected time. Now she is a toddler with spirit and attitude! She is so smart and it always amazes me how much information she soaks up without us even knowing. I want to record some of the special things she loves, reasons we love her, and things going on in her life right now.

  • For Christmas, she got a little table and chairs from grandma and grandpa Murphey. You will find her there at every meal, and many times in between when she wants a snack. She does really well eating there all by herself, and if she does happen to spill something, she won't relax until she has picked it all up (an awesome habit!!). Often I'll turn on Sesame Street and let her eat while watching it..I just have to remind her to actually eat while it's on :-) 
  • If she wants something, she will come, grab your hand, and lead you to what she wants. We never really went through the frustrating unable-to-communicate needs stage because she has always been able to tell us what she wants, either with words or showing us, which has been so nice! She is obsessed with strawberry jam right now, and at least once a day, that is what she wants out of the fridge. 
  • She is very vocal about her food. She often says, "Yum" of "dishiss" (delicious) while eating and it's very fun to hear her reactions! 
  • I wouldn't really say she is a picky eater (my parents would argue), but she knows what she wants and doesn't want. She still doesn't really eat meat (other than hot dogs and lunch meat), but I did get her to eat some tuna yesterday. We need to work on chicken and beef...We have had somewhat of a vegetarian on our hands for the past many months, and we are hoping to change that soon!
  • Along with that, she finally has enough teeth that she may actually be able to chew meat! She has had 3 of her front teeth for months, plus 2 molars on top, and just a couple days ago, her 4th front tooth came through! She has had such a hard time teething, and the teeth take forever to come up, making her miserable for weeks each time. She got her bottom i-teeth a couple weeks ago, and those were definitely rough. So now are still waiting on several more molars and top i-teeth, but we're getting there!! I hope she just gets them all at once so she doesn't have to endure the pain time after time...But I doubt that will happen! (Since I'm actually posting this weeks later than I wrote it, now all her i-teeth have come in! yay!! they were super rough. Lots and lots of tylenol and ibuprofen. Now just her 2 years molars to look forward to someday...hopefully not for awhile.)
  • She loves music. In church, she loves to lead the music, and she can't help but wiggle her bottom when music is on. I hope she will have more rhythm than her parents (she doesn't yet..) and we will definitely have to get her in dance classes in a couple years! For now, we have dance parties in the living room and she giggles her head off. Such fun! She got Rockin' Elmo for Christmas and has to play one of his instruments while he's singing/dancing (usually she chooses the tambourine) and it's really cute to watch her play.
  • She loves babies. Anytime we are anywhere and she sees a baby or a carrier, she says "baby, baby." Of course, I am hoping this means she will like her new baby sibling, but only time will tell on that one. She also gets a bit possessive when I am holding a baby and usually wants to be held as well (which I'm sure will be the case when #2 arrives!)
  • She has started showing a little interest in potty training. Nothing crazy, but she does want to sit on the toilet, and although she hasn't done anything yet and I'm not going to rush it, I'm just glad she isn't scared of the toilet like she was a couple months ago. I am only hoping that I can potty train her before July and maybe avoid buying diapers for two...
  • She is an awesome napper! We never really had 2 naps a day figured out (because she sleeps in so stinkin late), but the 1-nap a day is awesome! She usually wakes up around 10am (keep in mind she does go to bed later than most kids {like 10pm}and then takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. She is awesome! This morning, she woke up crying at 7:30 (I knew that was way too early for her) and Curt was already gone to school so I brought her in my bed, she snuggled up and slept for a couple more hours. I got up before her and was upstairs when I heard a little klompity klomp up the stairs. Glad she got out of our bed safely in the dark! 
  • She love loves Books! We often read the same books 10 times a day. And she is always bringing us books, climbing up on the couch, cuddling right up, ready to read. I am so glad she loves books! And even though I get a little tired of Elmo, Good Night Sesame Street, etc, I am grateful for her attention span and love of reading. She is going to be a smart cookie with her love of books!
  • She is talking like crazy!! She will mimic anything and everything (including hiccups, sneezes, burps and coughs) and especially words. She loves saying "grapa," "grama," "Tate," "Ty ty," "Toy" (for Troy), "Sas" (for Sam), "Tent" (for Trent), "Esa" for Alyssa, "Coopie," "Sasie" for Sadie, "Meme" for Millie (the dog), Nana, Papa, she knows ALL the Sesame Street characters and especially loves saying "Osca" (Oscar). She is constantly saying "baby" which is actually also what comes out when she wants her blankie. She still babbles in sentences that aren't comprehendable, but she really understands the value of words and it is so fun to see her vocabulary expand! She loves saying "Osha" at the ocean and "in" (meaning orange of course) has been used to get herself many Cutie oranges! "Stras" (strawberries) are one of her favorites and she will down them amazingly fast. 
  • She is obsessed with "outsi" (outside) and several times a day brings us her coat, gloves, boots and puts her hat on ready to go outside! She loves it when grandpa pulls her in the sled around the block and up and down the hills across the street. She is still getting used to the fact that it's okay for snow to be on her gloves...This girl knows how to have fun and is always up for a good time!
  • She almost always wakes up happy, and usually goes to bed super easily! We went through a long time of having to let her cry herself to sleep (which is hard) so for her to agree to go to bed and to do it happily is a-mazing! 
  • She loves listening to us sing, and snuggles right up. When I ask what she wants to sing, she says "Jesis" so we sing about Jesus and last night, we taught her about "Neffe" so she wanted to sing a song about Nephi, and now wants to every night. Soo cute! She loves "Popcorn popping," "Itsy Bitsy Spider," "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes," and anything with actions! 
  • Before nap or bed, she always point to the rocking chair and says, "sans" (songs), so we get to cuddle and sing her songs. Would I turn down cuddle time?! No, never!
  • She is getting so much spunk and attitude. When she doesn't get what she wants, she often throws herself down on the ground right where she is and buries her face in her arms and whines/cries. So far, the temper tantrums have been mild..But I'm feeling the terrible two's coming on. So not ready for my sweet girl to turn into a little crazy thing!
  • She is starting to talk using (almost) sentences. The other day, my mom and sister took the kids to McDonalds. Sadie (my niece) took Brooke's french fry and she tattle-taled in her first documented sentence "Say say eat fry fry" (Sadie eat french fry.) It's fun to see her vocab grow. We count with her a lot, and now we say one, and she'll say "two, free" She still doesn't know colors, but her favorite color is "peep" (pink), or so she says :)
We couldn't ask for a sweeter, more special little girl to have in our home! We feel blessed to be her parents! I'm only afraid that we won't get lucky twice in a row...But only time will tell :-)

 Here are some pics as of late. Lots and lots of FUN cousin time!! We have loved the Alyssa came out west to help out her sis-in-law's family in Seattle..it means we have been able to see her and kids every weekend for about 6 weeks!! Lucky us! Just wish they lived closer...

No comments: