Curtis and I got a cute decoration for our wedding last year that says, "Find Joy in Your Journey." I think his grandma was inspired to give it to us. When we were decorating our apartment and hung the sign up around the time of our wedding, Curt and I decided that we wanted it to be our family motto (even before President Monson's talk), and I had no idea at the time how much I would need that saying in my life. Needless to say, when President Monson gave the talk in Nov 2008 General Conference, my ears perked up as his talk was on our family motto, "Finding Joy in the Journey." It seems I always tend to get really excited about things that are in the future, but then more nervous and less sure of them as they get closer. For instance, I am graduating next month. I used to think this day wouldn't come soon enough, and now that it's near, I'm not so sure I am ready for it. Am I really grown up enough for a real job?? Let alone a job where people's lives are in my hands? Well I sure hope so as I will be starting the job search soon. It is still a hard thing for me, but I am trying to find joy in the journey. Life passes by so fast and can change in the blink of an eye, something that has been manifested to me over the past several weeks more than ever. My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer that was found during a routine colonoscopy just a few weeks ago. We thought all would be well after an intense surgery where a foot of her colon was removed. We hoped, we prayed, but the Lord had a different plan. We found out a week and a half ago that she would need to go through 6 months of chemotherapy treatments. It was hard news to bear, and joy was definitely not the first thing on my mind for quite some time. It still hurts my heart to know the suffering my mom will have to endure, but I'm so grateful for her attitude and her perseverance. Being the completely unselfish person that she is, she worries more about her children than she does about herself. She is simply amazing! I am grateful that she is putting her trust in the Lord, as we are all, knowing that His plan is better than anything we can imagine. She told me yesterday that the surgeon was really impressed that the cancer was found during her colonoscopy as it was only the size of a dime. This is a testimony to me that the Lord does really watch out for His children, and I'm grateful that He is watching over my mom. These recent experiences have helped me to realize that I do not want to spend my whole life looking forward to the next good thing to come along..I want to find Joy in the Journey, right here, right now. Life is too short, too uncertain to waste our time wishing and waiting. And the truth is, there is joy all around us. I find joy when I hear my mom's voice and feel of her strength. I find joy when my husband wraps me in his arms when I've had a rough day. I find joy when I hear the birds singing. I find joy when I feel the hope and peace that the Spirit pours over me when I allow it to have a place in my heart. Joy is always around us, sometimes we just have to take a step back, and slow down and we will find it. I'm grateful for the joy that I am able to find amidst the trials we experience in this life. We are so blessed to find joy in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
X-ray
6 years ago
5 comments:
Ashley, Mike’s Dad had told us about your Mom’s cancer and I want tell you how sorry I am for this trial she and your family is facing. It sounds like your Mom is a strong and courageous woman with great faith in the Lord and his plan. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If there is anything you guys need please don't hesitate to ask.
Ash! I think you're amazing, you and your family have such a great attitude about it all!:) Truly, finding Joy in the Journey is what it is all about! Remember if you guys ever need anything we're right down the street. Love you!
PS Hope foods was good today!
wow ashley! Thank you so much for writing about that! It totally makes me stop and think about the joy in my journey!
i will totally be praying for your mom. I can't even imagine the pain that you are going through having your mom go through this trial. but your right heavenly father has a way better amazing plan for us! thank you so much for sharing!
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Being a grown up can be fun, good luck with your job search, you will be a great nurse.
I love your mom! She always has such a great attitude about everything. She is in our prayers every night. Your family is so strong and I admire you all!
Post a Comment