Friday, September 4, 2009

Flight Fiasco (Delta, I DESPISE you)


Ok..so this is old news seeing as it happened a week and a half ago, but I just need to vent! And that's what blogs are for every once in a while, right?! (Warning: Long rant!) So I had a fabulous week long vacation to Pennsylvania to see the world's two cutest kiddos, but the ending to my trip left a BAD taste in my mouth for the entire state (I might be exaggerating, but probably not). So my sister, the two kids, and I left their house at 11:15ish am to make the over 3 hour drive to the Philadelphia airport. We stopped in Hershey for a short shopping break and some lunch, then continued on. Tom Tom (GPS) took us on kinda a crazy route to the airport through lots of cities and things. So I started to get a bit nervous that we weren't going to get to the airport on time. My flight was to depart @ 5:29pm. We finally pulled up to the drop off at 4:40, said our tearful goodbyes, and I thought all was well. I went to the stupid Delta electronic check-in thing (if only it had worked faster) to see the heart dropping words, "It is too late to check bags for this flight," or something. I hurry up to the counter to a most unpleasant lady to see what was going on. The current time, 4:45pm. She looks me up and says in oh such a sorry voice, "You can't check bags for this flight. You have to be 45 minutes early to check bags." Are you freaking serious? I'm here 44 minutes early lady...does 1 minute really make that much of a difference? I couldn't even stand to look the heartless lady in the eye I was raging with anger. My bag was too big to carry on so my only other option? Miss my non-stop flight to Salt Lake, pay $50 extra for a flight that changes planes in Atlanta, sit on a plane for over an hour longer than scheduled due to lame weather, get to Salt Lake at 1am (as opposed to my original time of 8:30pm on the non-stop). Awesome right?! All for being 1 stinking minute late...Oh Delta I despise you at the moment. And it will take me a LONG time to get over it. I might feel a little bad for giving the desk lady the evilest glare I could conjure up, and maybe I feel a little bad for chucking my credit card at her to show how thrilled I was to pay the extra fee, but mostly, I feel justified in my actions seeing as "Customer Service" is apparently non-existent in Delta Airlines business. I did save my tears for the security line because I didn't want to give the mean lady the satisfaction of seeing me cry. Let's just say I don't handle changes from my original plans very well. To make matters more fun, I asked my work to put me on-call since I knew I would get home late and only get a couple hours of sleep. So that was the plan...at least until 4:30am when they called me and told me I needed to come in at 6am. The perfect end to the perfect fiasco of a day. But amazingly enough, I survived, with only a SLIGHT distaste for Delta Airlines. Ahh...I feel better already with that off my chest!

Please tell me if I am totally out of line here to have felt/acted this way...but mostly I would just like my behavior validated :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have cried in that situation too- change like that doesn't mix well. Especially on your own. Glad it's over for you though!

Lisa Marie said...

I did cry, like you did, and I think that all airlines need to seriously learn what "customer service" really does mean:) haha. GRRRRR....

Alyssa said...

WE MISS YOU!!! Nothing can make you homesick like a sister. Thanks for coming!